Subject: [Leica] What can the LUG do for Haiti?
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:37:35 -0500

The problem with that, I think, is that it's temporary - the crisis is gone,
all that packs up and goes home. This puts a skill in place and leaves it to
grow. Even before the earthquake Haiti needed help but most people weren't
paying any attention because they weren't seeing the Compelling Images that
made them care. Enfranchise photographers within the country and help them
tell their own story, now and tomorrow, rather than waiting for European
journalists to come and tell it when catastrophe strikes.

That's my reasoning anyway...

Peter Dwzig sed:

>extremely good idea, but...

>I can't help thinking that the best thing that the LUG could do would be for

>one of us to get out there and take the compelling images (KC?). It's like
>a war

>zone. It needs those skills.

[snip]