Subject: [Leica] IMG: Afghanistan Happenings
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:33:51 +0430

Steve & Ric - yes, this is pretty much the same as in Pakistan.  Stuff
gets dumped, then the professional scavengers come, you see in the
photo a taxi driver is taking a look.  The scavengers take the
valuable material, like metals, and plastics to sell.  In Pakistan the
competition was so fierce that I saw scavengers emptying out organic
materials into the street to take away the plastic bag.

One of the things I would like to introduce, in Afghanistan, is a
Waste to Energy plant, which would help dispose of this material,
particularly the organics, but, as in Pakistan, there is little
interest, they don't see it as a useful commodity.  We'll see if we
can change that, over time.

Thanks for your comments

Hugh