Subject: [Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:58:11 +0800

In absolute terms among watch connoisseur, Rolex is a low to mid-price
brand, in the same league as Omega, perhaps just a touch above TAG-Heuer.

Rolex is very mass-market, producing 800,000 to 900,000 watches a year.
There is no exclusivity whatsoever.  Quality is so-so, and a touch
overpriced for what is offered.  Their strength is marketing.  Much of the
retail price of a Rolex goes to advertising and marketing etc.

For something fancier, this is my dream watch, not that I can afford it:

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/hybris-mechanica/

http://ablogtoread.com/jaeger-lecoultre/jaeger-lecoultre-hybris-mechanica-gr
ande-sonnerie-thoughts-on-the-most-complicated-watch-in-the-world/

Yours for US$2.5 million.

Another worthy contender is the Franck Muller Aeternitas Mega 4? Grande
Sonnerie Westminster Carillon

http://www.perpetuelle.com/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsId=144

http://hubpages.com/hub/Worlds-Most-Expensive-Watch-by-Franck-Muller

Yours for US$2.7 million.

I guess these make our Leica M9 seem cheap! :-)

Joseph