Subject: [Leica] Photo Story: At the Auction
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:19:22 -0500

Yes, there was considerable remorse by the sellers, for a variety of
reasons.  They are in poor health these days (one had cancer, another was
using oxygen assist equipment) and are forced to liquidate a lot of the
family's belongings.

I understand that they tried to sell the car several years ago for a
fantastic sum--$100,000USD, and actually received a serious offer in that
range.  However, they turned it down, and of course now the economy (and
wildly optimistic buyers) are hardly as supportive of such things.

The car sold on Saturday for $23,000, which was $3000 under the estimate.
While it's in spectacular condition for a 73 year old vehicle, it is far
from showroom perfect.  Also, the fact that it is a closed car makes it less
valuable in the hobby.

Walt intends to only restore the mechanical components necessary for safe
driving (new tires, brake system, flush radiator, fresh rubber for
mechanical components, rewiring as necessary) and keep the interior and
exterior as original as possible.

The car will also remain in Berks County, PA, about four miles away from the
sellers.  So, to the delight of many, a piece of local history will not only
stay local, but will be featured in local car shows and parades.

Incidentally, Walt was the surviving partner of my friend Jim Canavan,
mentioned on this list several months ago.  In a sense, the car purchase is
part of Walt "getting on" with life after that tragedy.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA