Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 44, Issue 88
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:07:28 -0500

Mark writes:
One thing that did interest me was the offshoot that converts books to
audio format.  I have a friend who's son has learning difficulties which
mean he can't read well, but he loves audio books - being able to
download audiobooks in mp3 format could be a real boon for him.  So I'm
very grateful for this thread.

- - - - - -
Mark, I'm very glad you found the thread useful.

A text to speech facility is a great asset for any computer. Mac computers
have had the ability from the very first model. Years ago I had a project
which required that a person recognize a particular sequence of numbers
embedded in a stream of random digits while driving a car. The job was
simplified by programming a Mac to generate random numbers and read them out
loud. Whenever the desired number sequence appeared the Mac would note if
the subject pushed the button indicating that he had recognized the
sequence. The computer would then calculate the accuracy of the responses as
a function of the difficulty of the driving task. This was one of the first
experiments to measure the effects of distraction on a car driver's
capability. It convinced my colleagues and I not to talk on our cell phones
or argue with our wives when driving.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 44, Issue 88)