Subject: [Leica] What's the verdict out there on the Panasonic GF-1 and Leica M adapter?
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:45:36 -0500

>In true Leica fashion, buying a $1000 item may be more appealing than a
>$250 "it'll do the job" item.

> After shopping a bit for a budget camcorder, it appears buying a GF1
>might satisfy my curiosity for having a second digital M, as well as hit
>my needs for the occasional video capture.

I recommend picking up the current issue of Videomaker Magazine (and not
simply because I'm a contributing editor to that magazine) the cover story
this month is shooting video on a DSLR. The video you will get from your
GF-1 will be superior to the video you'll get on  any low-end camcorder and
in many cases, it'll be superior to the video you'll get from more expensive
models because of the lens choices you'll have. you'll lose some
video-camera only features, but the fantastic depth of field options you'll
have with still camera lenses are going to make other videographers weep.
You'll lose the auto focus but with a 50mm f1.8 on there, your video is
going to look spectacular.

just remember to focus.

kyle

p.s. i bought a nikon adapter from ebay for $27. it works fine. there are no
optics in the adapters, it's just a coupling, so don't spend too much on it.

hope this helps

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] What's the verdict out there on the Panasonic GF-1 and Leica M adapter?)