Subject: [Leica] Agricultural Program, Helmand, Afghanistan
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:02:29 -0800 (PST)

Even if the US bought up the entire crop for 3X what the current price is,
it would be less than the cost of the defense budget for Afghanistan with
plenty left over (I'm guessing here, but I don't think it's a bad guess).
The Afghan farmers would love it!
Then burn it.
My guess is the Taliban purchase the opium and therefore have the farmers
ingratiated to them. Then the Taliban sell it for profits that fund their
efforts. A business model that works for them very well.
So we take away the market...
Hit em where it hurts; in their pocket book!
Seriously,
Bob
PS - Wendy, these photos are wonderful. Keep them coming along with your at
hand experiences. Truly broadening to have you as part of the group.
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com