Subject: [Leica] Last minute Cuba problem
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:00:25 -0800

>Ok, I finally just about go all "digital" and suddenly I'm thinking about
>film for our trip to Cuba. WHY? Seems the Cuban government is "prone" to
>taking laptops from visitors and only returning them when you leave. If
>you are staying in "homes" as we hope to be, then you are likely to have
>your laptop confiscated.
>
>So how to travel and back up Olympus Hasselblad and Leica digital cameras
>for a month? The best I've come up with is the Epson P7000, but it does
>not support the H'blad files and dng only shows as jpeg previews.
>
>Anyone used the Epson? Any suggestions?
>
>TIA
>
>Alastair

Hi Alastair,

I've posted this at various times since 2004, but I've checked this
out repeatedly and the best units are the NEXTO devices. They've now
got a US distributor, but they've had Aussie distributors for a lot
longer, and I've bought my units from them.

The NEXTO devices are the fastest, allow the most transfers per
charge, and are about as compact as you can get. On my units I've
gotten nearly 100Gb of card transfers per battery charge. Others have
gotten better, but none have exceeded them. I still use them whenever
a laptop isn't practical.
--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design