Subject: [Leica] Last minute Cuba problem
From: gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:58:16 -0700

afirkin at afirkin.com writes:

> Ok, I finally just about go all "digital" and suddenly I'm thinking about
> film for our trip to Cuba. WHY? Seems the Cuban government is "prone" to
> taking laptops from visitors and only returning them when you leave. If
> you are staying in "homes" as we hope to be, then you are likely to have
> your laptop confiscated.
>
> So how to travel and back up Olympus Hasselblad and Leica digital cameras
> for a month? The best I've come up with is the Epson P7000, but it does
> not support the H'blad files and dng only shows as jpeg previews.
>
> Anyone used the Epson? Any suggestions?

Don't try to take a radio of any type with you, be prepared to have your
film, no matter the speed x-rayed. No hand checks! I would also suggest no
cellphones.

We were there in March 2003. Beautiful country and the best beaches in the
Carribean. There was a family of four coming into to Cuba on the same
airplane as us who made the mistake of bringing walkie-talkies with them. We
sat on the bus at the airport for well over an hour waiting while Cuba
officials came to a decision as to whether this family would be allowed into
Cuba or sent back to Canada on the next plane out. They ultimately were
allowed entry to Cuba, sans walkie-talkies!

Enjoy Cuba!

Greg Lorenzo

Calgary, Canada

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/