Subject: [Leica] Leicas and National Geographic
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:04:34 +1000

I just enjoyed a program here showcasing the top ten photos for 2009
according to the NG magazine. Amazing work of course and their number one
shot was a vertical panorama if you like of a magnificent Redwood tree. I
think something like 84 shots from a bank of pro Canons hauled halfway into
orbit. Naturally there were plenty of top level Nikons and Canons in
evidence as the best tools for some of the applications (including
underwater housings and banks of remotely controlled multiple cameras).

What was a pleasant surprise was to see that  at least two of the talented
photographers were using M's. Film M's no less. One whole essay was done in
a remoter part of China and the placing shot was taken while hanging upside
down from a cable strung between two mountain tops. That is amazing
dedication. I think that the photog's website says that he used two M's with
Provia. The one I saw was an MP with a Summicron 28 fwiw. The photographer
was Fritz Hoffmann and the other (working in Africa) was Martin Schoeller.
It was also very interesting to see the photogs and editor peering at small
prints with loupes which isn't quite how I imagined their main method would
go! Then their layout was all around 12x18 prints per spread sorted on a
blarge wall. Only one photog was shown editing on I think two 30 inch
screens. Another comment was that their photogs take I think one million
photos annually of which one thousand make it into the magazine. Sheesh,
Tina thought she had an editing challenge!

Anyway well worth a look at their site and the magazine of course.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/12/top-ten-photography
Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman