Subject: [Leica] Kookaburra in Sydney today
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:07:21 +1030

Hi Howard,

Although his wings have some blue flecks, this is a laughing or common
kookaburra Dalcelo novaeguineae, not D. leachii.  The latter is found
in northern Australia only, from Brisbane to Shark Bay, and has a much
larger area of much brighter blue on its wings.  It also has a
conspicuous blue eye and a smaller head.  This is an easily made
mistake, as few guides mention that the laughing kookaburra has blue
flecks on its wings.

The laughing kookaburra is famous in Australia for killing and eating
snakes, even some of our extremely venomous elapids.  Large flocks
(that seems like a poor collective noun for this animal, maybe 'a
raucous of kookaburras' would be better) were famous in the house
where I grew up for waking us up at dawn.

It's a lovely shot.  I hope Sydney remains pleasant; there's some hot
weather coming this way that may make it there eventually.

Marty