Subject: [Leica] German May day
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:06:21 -0500

> While researching a trip that I hope doesn't fall through, I see that
> May Day is coming up.  This is a big German holiday?  Are any towns
> know for their May Day Celebrations?
>
> Thx!
" Germany

A stamp from East Germany celebrating the 100-year anniversary of
International Workers Day on 1 May 1990. In rural regions of Germany,
especially the Harz Mountains, Walpurgisnacht celebrations of Pagan origin
are traditionally held on the night before May Day, including bonfires and
the wrapping of maypoles, and young people use this opportunity to party,
while the day itself is used by many families to get some fresh air. Motto:
"Tanz in den Mai!" ("Dance into May!"). In the Rhineland, a region in the
western part of Germany, May 1 is also celebrated by the delivery of a tree
covered in streamers to the house of a girl the night before. The tree is
typically from a love interest, though a tree wrapped only in white
streamers is a sign of dislike. On leap years, it is the responsibility of
the females to place the maypole, though the males are still allowed and
encouraged to do so"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day#Germany

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner