Subject: [Leica] Belgian Ale test
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:51:09 +0100

Well, I have to weigh in then.

As Daniel alluded to, some important Belgian beers were omitted from the
test. I certainly would not consider such a test without including the
Trappist beers--Westmalle, Chimay, Orval, Ciney, and the Holy Grail of beer,
Westvleteren (although that last one may be irrelevant for a NYT test since
it is not available in the US). In addition, I would include things like
Delirium Tremens, Kwak, and my favorite non-Trappist beer, Tripel Karmeliet.

Having said that, I am also not completely surprised that a US-made beer
won. A trans-Atlantic trip combined with perhaps less than optimal storage
conditions at the receiving end is not going to do a beer much good. In
fact, my own policy is to drink the local stuff when I travel, except when I
am in countries like France or Italy whose beer is undrinkable.

And I am with Frank regarding English beer--I am going to spend the coming
weekend with my son in Bath, and trawling the local freehouses and enjoying
their excellent products is a major part of the pleasure.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu