Subject: [Leica] About Pizza
From: lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:33:15 +0100

Hi Larry,

I've found very iteresting your historical references to the origin of
the Pizza. Here in Catalonia we have also some founded hypothesis
about the origin with some historical prouves. The Sicilia and Napples
regions was conquered by the king of Catalonia and Aragon and many
catalan people has invaded the Napples Region, here you have a short
historical reference:

"History:
The union of the two territories of Catalonia and Aragon was caused by
the marriage of Ramon Berenguer IV, Count of Barcelona and Petronila
of Aragon, later Queen of Aragon. This merged the County of Barcelona
with the Kingdom of Aragon under the name of "Crown of Aragon". Their
son, Alfonso II, inherited both titles. This union was made while
respecting the existing institutions of both places. This situation
was maintained until the abolition of the state, beginning 18th century.

The king, James I (13th century), conquered new territories and
incorporated Majorca and the region of Valencia to the state. Valencia
was made a new kingdom with its own institutions, and so the third
member of the confederation. Majorca, together with the counties of
Cerdanya and Roussillon and the city of Montpellier, were given to his
son James and were named Kingdom of Majorca, but these territories
were reincorporated in year 1349.

The expansion through Mediterranean sea continued (Sicily, Minorca,
Sardinia). In 1410 king Martin I dies without descendants. This caused
Ferdinand of Antequera, from the Castilian dynasty of Trastamara, to
be made king of the Crown of Aragon.

In year 1443, Naples was conquered. Later Ferdinand II of Aragon
recovered the northern catalan counties and married queen Isabella I
of Castile in 1479. However, Castile and the Crown of Aragon remained
as different states keeping their own institutions and laws.

The Crown of Aragon was abolished after the War of the Spanish
Succession (1702?1713)."

The the region of Lleida (Lerida in Spanish) was a very poor region,
and the people of the region was eating a certain cooked bread with
some vegetables that they had possibility to collect, on such times it
doesn't exist "rich"  elements as anchovies etc...., this food is
still existing in Catalonia, the name is "Coca de recapte", possibly
the origin of the pizza. The catalan sailors in Napple was ungry and
they have prepared to eat what they was doing in his original country,
after this was developped succesfully by the italians and with an
excellent marketing in USA, the pizza.

Hernando del Pulgar was one of the historiciens man who has writed
about the ceremony of "Los Reyes Catolicos" : Isabel de Castilla and
Fernando de Aragon (Aragon & Catalonia was on the same kingdom) was
married :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_I_of_Castile
and he relates something that coud be a prouve that existing "coca de
recapte", they said that this had the appearance like a cake, but not
sweet, it was salad with vegetables.

Here you have several images of the Coca de Recapte:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=es&client=safari&rls=en&resnum=0&q=coca+de+recapte&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=cQeHS8GhDZDQjAeqy8irDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQsAQwAw

or

http://tinyurl.com/y9mxqyz

I found this a very interesting and probably certain history, many
regions and cultures has on their own origines similar food,

I hope you found it intersting, thanks for reading

Saludos cordiales
Lluis ....(the Catalan)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/
http://photo.net/photos/lluisripoll
Blog:
http://lluisripollphotography.wordpress.com/

El 25/02/2010, a las 21:30, Lawrence Zeitlin escribi?: