Subject: [Leica] The M5
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:42:46 -0500

> Hello Vince,
>
> I have a M5 and love the camera. It has been recalibrated to use
> modern batteries and works perfectly. It's a little heavier then the
> other M bodies and a couple lenses can't be used because of
> interference with the swing up meter. But it handles very nicely and
> is one of my favorites. If my memory serves me right I think Richard
> Man had one as well.  I'm also sure some of the collector's in the
> group have one. I have never heard it described as much deplored even
> though it was not popular when first released.
>
> Len

An M9 makes for a great support system for a Noctilux .
A shot a roll of film with a Noctilux on an M5 that was Sat, Oct 7, 2000 at
the LHSA Boston meeting in the evening. Took me 45 minutes.
The m5 had a wider focusing base than any other camera making it the more
accurate focusing camera made by Leica. And balances with the nicely used
extra weight perfectly with a Noctilux on the front of it. The Noctilux  of
course benefits from the added accuracy of focusing.
I got the snapshots back the next day.
I shot the roll in a dark restaurant.
I missed my focus about never. Maybe 2 or 3 out of the 36 shots.
Wow as I sold on the camera body and lens both.
I got my lens eleven months later.
But have never gotten an M5 yet.
And probably will never get one as film has little nostalgia for me.
But a Noctilux can be used on an M9 made today.
All 50 milliliters of it.

F 1 and be there!
Or F .95 and be there!

Yes the M5 almost did Leica in.
No it is not  nothing less then an excellent shooting platform.
Its just not small and light.
Its not a Barnack
But then either is an M6.

You want small and light Barnacklike get an IIIF.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] The M5)
Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] The M5)