Subject: [Leica] PIXEL PITCH SIZE/large prints
From: bryanwi at bryanwi.com (Bryan Willman)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:43:55 -0800

Steve Barbour asks:

"how large are the prints that people are now making ? people like us,
who are not decorating the side of buses...?
20x30 " ?   bigger  ? or  8x10" or maybe not at all  ?  maybe mostly
internet 800 pixel jpegs ?
one gets an impression that as people talk bigger, less prints of any
size are now being  made...
of course some few are making huge prints, how many ?....less than a
majority...?"

In absolute numbers?  I'll bet more rather than fewer, because things
like 24" and 44" inkjet printers (and rentals of such) are now readily
available and produce great results.   As large as my epson 9900 is,
it's very small compared to the darkroom and enlarger that could create
a 43x95 print.   And I make such prints with composites of 35mm FF
digital images, something I could never manage in the darkroom, though
some could.

So in absolute terms, it's easier to make large and very large prints.

In *relative* terms snap-load-email-to-some-web-page is easier than ANY
scheme with film, and so I'm sure the point that smallish .jpegs and
smallish prints dominate on % of volume is totally true.   And of
course, current cameras already saturate these image sizes....

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] PIXEL PITCH SIZE/large prints)