Subject: [Leica] Picture size
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:00:51 -0500

> Mark writes:
>
> My standard as most photographers was 11x14's for decades. Shows could be
>
> 11x14 but got to me mainly 16x20.
>
> Sometimes I'd go through an 8x10 phase. As would my friends it seemed.
>
> Right now my default is an idiosyncratic 5x7. Not a real popular size you
>
> hear of people printing in  but I like it.
>
> - - - - - -
>
> Photo shows restrict picture size as a matter of convenience, practicality
> and economics. By a strange series of events I became one of the directors
> of a large photo show in the Hudson Valley. The area is a hotbed of Madison
> Avenue photographers and artists who try to establish their artistic
> credentials (as opposed to commercial credentials) by exhibiting in the
> show. Out of necessity we had to restrict the maximum picture size to 16x20
> inches. It was a balance between available wall space and the number of
> photographers who could exhibit. Besides bigger pictures were too difficult
> to store and handle. I personally would have liked to see a few wall
> spanning murals but, alas, I was outvoted. Fewer photos meant lower exhibit
> fees and eventual bankruptcy.
> Larry Z

Minor White in his yellow book he wrote on the Zone System declared any
prints larger than 16x20 to be not archival becaue he didn't think the
museums would handle them properly. Proably  went in to the back of one of
them in the late 50s and they had everything cataloged in nice file cabinets
and the 20x24's in a stack on the floor in a corner. And his darkroom only
went up to 16x20's
Mine did go up to 20x24 and I did have one show of 20x24's. And one
portfolio. And made sure my enlarger table dropped down so I could make
them. You can carry them around and they make 16x20's look like snapshots.
But a 16x20 you can really see.
Many a shot I reprinted from 11x14 to 16x20 or visa versa to match what the
gallery wanted. And you get a portfolio out of it; stuff you can show around
in  a case.

Edward Weston's prints are 8x10 not 11x14. As that was the size of his negs
and they are contacted.
In most galleries when you see a Weston it looks small. But steals the show
anyway.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner