Subject: [Leica] Crazy
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 01:07:34 -0800

Some interesting discussion on the incident here:
http://www.petapixel.com/2010/03/03/world-press-photo-disqualifies-winner/

It is all well and good to be concerned about the integrity of
photography and journalism. But "rules" designed to protect that
integrity have become ends in themselves, and they're turning
photojournalism and photo contests into a game of "gotcha."  If we can
catch someone doing something that was perfectly acceptable in the
darkroom days, we can take away their reputation, and feel oh so good
about having caught a rogue.  By today's standards, Gene Smith would
have been quickly drummed out of the profession. And wouldn't that have
purified the integrity of photography?

What really matters is the intent of the photographer.  If he was
clarifying things by removing a distracting element that was irrelevant
to the main content of the image, he is not a liar or a rogue. But the
"rules" say he is. Even though the photo was in the features category,
not hard news.

It is far easier to have a blanket rule than to evaluate things in
context, and it is easy and convenient to let the rule become a
substitute for the integrity it is supposed to protect.  I understand
the slippery slope argument. But some of the most interesting work can
happen on the edge of the slope, and I'm troubled by the glee with which
some exorcise those who stick a toe over that edge.

I agree that under the rules of the contest, the photo is ineligible.
But I'm troubled by the premise of the rule itself.  It is just as easy
to lie with a dodge, burn or crop.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Crazy)