Subject: [Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:51:11 -0500

compression of the Sitzfleisch also makes the wallet thinner, so we're back
where we started. Still unable to afford a new Leica lens.

The ASPH lenses in combo with the M8 and M9, which many luggers use,
sometimes border on the-almost-too-sharp to my eye.  Except in the widest
(big landscape/seascape) views they can lack subtlety -- there is a tendency
for the more intimate pictures to look as if they were processed by an ad
agency for placement in Time. (I keep thinking they would look astounding in
black and white however; perhaps Luis will fill that gap now that he's
gallavanting around with his M8.... ) The pictures these newer lenses take
of clouds and the sky's infinitely various colors are amazing -- but those
are soft things. The hard edges of the world seem with these lenses to be
harder even than they are: as in cinema and other art forms, there's a
possibility we've reached the natural end of the mimetic impulse in art, a
10,000 year progression -- in that we can now do reality better than reality
can do itself. Which makes the experience just a little pornographic.

Just some Sunday ruminations, with fleisch all too well sitzed.