Subject: [Leica] I did it.. the M8 Dust is gone.....
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:30:03 -0800

As detailed before, I had a LOT of dust on my M8 sensor.... enough that I
was really bummed out.  I bought the Arctic Butterfly, and the sensor
cleaning wipes from B+H.  It was my last chance to learn how to clean it
before I sent it off to Leica for cleaning, if I failed.

First I take a reference picture.  Nice dust, I says to myself...
I notice that the sensor looks like it has a fingerprint on it..... which
considering I know the sensor was clean when I got it new, means I screwed
up somewhere and my finger brushed against the sensor.
So I take out the Butterfly thing and go to it.... I figure no point in
using a swab against the sensor if I had dust on it... and maybe then
scratched something with that dust.
Take another picture.... no change.  Looks like the dust is not the real
problem....
I take out swab #1 and put on the liquid.... let it soak in ( directions )
and proceed to wipe once from each side of the swab across the sensor. (
Note: the swab is the 1.3x type, but to be honest, it appears to be wider
than I would think)
Take picture.....Now I have smears across the sensor,  ( IOW, it is getting
worse......)
Nothing to lose... swab #2....
This time I take a couple of swipes from each side, and notice that the
fingerprint is slowly going away..... and the smear seems a lot better....
Test # 3 shows the dust to be much improved, and the smearing is
considerably better..... I am on the right track....
Swab #3, same swipes across the sensor..... to the point that I can not see
any residue on the sensor...
Test #4 shows a couple of dust spots that seem not to want to move, get
smaller, or otherwise be affected by my work.....  I am at 1:1 to my desktop
LCD, so I can track the 4 pictures, and note that the dust is just plain the
same across all the shots....
So I go to move around the image to see what else is rotten when I notice
that the spots of dust are NOT moving...
Seems as though my monitor had some crud on it, and THAT was part of the
problem of immovable dust spots.....
Sensor is really clean now, and I am happy.....

Learning experience... clean your monitor screen before you clean your
sensor.....
Second message... I think it was Nathan that stated his dust removal did not
work with the Arctic Butterfly, but the swabs worked wonderfully.... I think
my experience this time duplicated his findings.....greasy fingerprints are
like that......real dust is not.

Thanks for all the experiences, tips, support, and kick in the behind from
all of you.....it really did help....

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] I did it.. the M8 Dust is gone.....)