Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:51:07 -0500

There's a big difference between the Leica of yesteryear and Leica of today:
In the 1960s, Leica made incomparable machines, with excellent optics.
Today, they make computers in a box, with very low sales potential, with
excellent optics.

The R&D costs for a Leica/computer in a box are going to be very high,
considering both the proprietary nature of the sensor/computer arrangement
and the low production run.  That has to be paid in some way by the
consumer.

Also remember that in the 1960s and early 70s the DM was four to the dollar,
whereas now the euro trades rather unfavorably against the dollar (remember
the 90 cent euro of yesteryear?).  Foreign currency exchange rates are going
to have a major impact on products, especially those which are made in low
quantities.  It's not comparable to Japanese cameras or cars, where
manufacturers produce huge quantities and can either take a profit loss to
compensate for an unfavorable currency fluctuation, or cut corners in
design.

When Leica did acknowledge that there was a demand for less expensive
lenses, and produced the lower-cost (and superb quality) Summarit line,
there wasn't exactly an overwhelming demand for the product.

Just as I am loathe to purchasing new computer equipment every few years--a
necessary evil to remain in business--I also resent purchasing an electronic
camera that will scream "obsolescence" in eighteen or twenty-four months.
The traditional lure of Leica was that the cameras and lenses were timeless
and reparable for generations--only the film emulsions changed.  That
paradigm is out the window in the digital era.

If I were a pro like Tina or Ted and could justify an electronic Leica for
both workflow and production quality, I'd probably be a customer for the
current equipment.  However, I don't need a camera for a livelihood, and can
afford the luxury of shooting film in older equipment.  I also can't see
spending ten grand for a "toy" of a camera body and lens.

Incidentally, one of my favorite website for calculating the current value
of long-ago prices is http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Best,
Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA