Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:09:06 +0000

Hi Phil,
I don't remember exactly how old you are but FWIW I did not earn enough to
buy a Leica until I was in my 30s and bought my first new Leica, a R6.2 I
already had a used M6, in my late 40s. I have only bought 4 new Leicas in my
life, the last 3 being M8, M8.2 then M9 I only bought new because used was
not yet a possibility. I have only bought 2 new Leica lenses, the two
tri-elmars, I have bought dozens used.

Larry must have been incredibly rich in 1966, by UK standards at least. I
got my first job in 1968 and a M3 with Summicron would have cost me over 2
years net salary, at that time. Whilst quoting the 1966 price makes current
Leica items -seem- expensive, they always have been. In the UK at least a
Nikon F series camera used to be 2 to 3 times less expensive than a Leica,
whereas nowadays my M9 cost less than my Nikon D3x.

For me there are several points worth noting.

Canon are reputed to make a loss on every EOS 1D-series body sold, but
accept it since it is a premium product which gives them a good image to
help sell the mega profitable cheaper items that sell by the million. Leica
can not do that, and could never have a multi-million selling cheap body to
subsidise them. A Canon EOS 1Ds mk3 is much more expensive than a M9.
Amortising design and development cost over so few cameras, even where every
part possible is carried over from past models to minimise production cost,
will make every unit pricy. A Leica unit probably has to carry 20 to 50
times more R&D cost in its price than a Canikon.

Leica probably makes their only profit from lenses. Guys like us that buy
secondhand are the reasons why new stuff can be sold expensively, buyers
know the total cost of ownership is not too bad. I am in the process of
downsizing, my Leica lenses are, almost without exception, worth more than I
paid for them. My Canon lenses, despite being mint, are probably worth about
25% of what I paid. Most of them were bought used too, BTW.
The Asph lenses do indeed have moulded aspherical surfaces, with one
exception, I believe the 90mm f2 asph element is too large in diameter to be
formed thus. OTOH the ceramic dies for the pressing process are
spectacularly expensive, so again, for Leica the amortisation cost per lens
is probably 20-50 times more than a Canon moulded asph lens.

I am not sure that Leica is that much more expensive, relative to Nikon,
say, than in the 60s. The USA was pretty much spectacularly richer than any
other country at that time. Now it is not, and the relative wealth of
Europe, Japan, China, Russia and the USA is -much- different than then. Not
accepting that changes in global wealth and currency values plays a part in
why Americans perceive Leica as more expensive is a bit "Ostrichesque".
I think Leica lenses were very good value for quite a few years,
particularly used. The price has risen substantially since a digital M has
been available, almost certainly a supply and demand affect.

Two things are certainly true. Leica is not the automatic professional
choice of miniature camera, as it may have been way back then, in fact it is
in a tiny niche. Leicas are indeed very expensive, but in my world always
have been.

cheers,
Frank