Subject: [Leica] The M9 is a computer, not a clock
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:35:49 -0500

Larry,

>>I was told a number of years ago by a production engineer in the Leica
Canada plant, that by far the most expensive sub assembly in the Leica
body
was the viewfinder/rangefinder and its associated cams. Essentially the
same
assembly is used in the digital Leicas. <<

In that case, it's money well spent. The rangefinder is one of several
features that sets Leica apart. A Leica with "liveview only" would be a
Panasonic, not a Graphlex.

Since the world has gone digital it seems that camera manufacturers have
placed less emphasis on viewing, whether pentaprism or rangefinder. I
love my D700, for instance, but at my eye it's no F3HP. (The F3HP, for
that matter, is no M3.)

What's most important to making great photographs, a sensor, a lens, or
how you see through the camera? The latter is most important to me.

Dave R