Subject: [Leica] IMG: Second Countryhouse Visit
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:59:07 -0500

This is one of the most ridiculous of the bans against women that I heard on
NPR today:

Besides the terrible killings inflicted by the fanatics on those who refuse
to pledge allegiance to them, Al-Qa'eda has lost credibility for enforcing a
series of rules imposing their way of thought on the most mundane aspects of
everyday life. They include a ban on women buying suggestively-shaped
vegetables, according to one tribal leader in the western province of
Anbar.
Sheikh Hameed al-Hayyes, a Sunni elder, told Reuters: "They even killed
female goats because their private parts were not covered and their tails
were pointed upward, which they said was haram.
"They regarded the cucumber as male and tomato as female. Women were not
allowed to buy cucumbers, only men."

Common sense is nowhere to be found.

Tina