Subject: [Leica] My paper experience
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:45:09 -0800

In printing for my next portfolio review, here are some comments on inkjet
paper that I tried this time.

Firstly, at the last portfolio review, I did ~12 darkroom prints on Adox
MCC. There really is nothing that beats the silver gelatin print look...

Second, my monitor is a calibrated ColorEdge CE240W - a reasonably
"middle-end" color correctable monitor. The next step up would be something
3x-4x more expensive at $5000+.

My printer is a Z3100 and I make all my ICC profiles.

- Best value: Epson Ultra Presentation Matte / Enhanced Matte / Archival
Matte etc. They change the names a few times, but it's their "low end"
stuff, over the cheap "photo paper." It's quite good. The best matte paper
is probably no more than 10-15% better, by any measure. If you like matte,
this can be your work print paper, or even for exhibit and sales.

- Hahnemuhle Fine Arts Pearl. A few years ago, I quite like it. Semi-gloss
luster look. Now it's totally out classed by the new paper. Not recommended.

- Hahnemuhle photo rag, photo rag bright white etc. There are at least 2-3
variations. One of the best fine arts matte paper. My biggest complaint is
that it's very fragile. You look at it funny and then there's a scratch on
the print!

Now a general commentary on matte paper. They look like... fine arts paper,
like watercolor. I found the dark is not quite dark enough, and in fact, if
you have a very dark print (e.g. night time), it can look downright muddy.
My wife, coming from a traditional artist background, like matte paper more
than the ones below. I think they work best for art work reproduction.

- Ilford Gold Fibre. This is one of the first and still more expensive
Baryta paper. It has the best dynamic range that I can see. It prints more
contrasty than my screen, this would be the one I'd use if I want that
slight gloss look.

- Harman FB Fiber Matte, Warmtone and normal. This is currently my favorite
paper. It's matte but less flat than the photo rag matte. The prints match
my screen more than other paper. Only thing it does not do well on is the
night shots. Again it just looks muddy.

While the above two have baryta and suppose to look like darkroom prints,
they don't. OTOH, they look more like darkroom prints than the older paper.

****
YMMV etc. etc.

--
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/> blog: <