Subject: [Leica] Introduction and Leica Lens Service Question
From: konstantin.mihov at googlemail.com (Konstantin Mihov)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:08:43 +0100

Thanks a lot, Jeffery, Douglas, Geoff, Mark, and Clayton for the welcome!
Thanks a lot Geoff for all the detailed information - I had indeed prepared
already all the documents to send the lens off to Solms but just wanted to
see if it is worth my time or if there may be better options - I'll keep you
posted on how it develops.

And no, I am not discouraged by the welcome :-) I have been a member of many
online groups and am currently member of another group of different kind and
have learnt my lessons - besides, don't forget I am a psychologist and we
are best at playing with stereotypes and group dynamics :-D

To go back to the question about Canon and the great shift to Leica: I have
always wanted a Leica for its size, design, feel in the hand, minimalist
feel but just never could afford it. The jump from the 300D to 500D was more
spontaneous than thought-through. And since I didn't have a extensive line
of lenses for my Canon, it was not difficult at all to make the switch.

Some of the things that really annoyed me about the Canon was that I wasn't
taking it with me as often as I wanted because of the size - the Leica is
now ALWAYS with me.

Design: and by design I also mean the rangefinder vs. SLR - since getting
the Leica I got to appreciate the lack of a mirror obscuring the viewfinder
for a second when the shutter is pressed - with the rangefinder, I know what
picture I have taken without the need to preview it. And I also love keeping
both my eyes open waiting for the right moment - ANTICIPATING the moment to
press the shutter. For example, I am preparing an exhibition with a local
student theater group and I love taking action pictures but I hate
continuous shooting mode  so I simply wait, watching with both eyes, and
waiting - I end up taking just 1 or 2 pictures and those tend to be the
intense emotional moments.

Lenses - granted I have never actually tried a really good Canon lens (I
have been experimenting mostly with Sigma lenses), I have grown to
appreciate the importance of a good quality lens - I am sure that my
decision to sell the Canon 500D was due to nothing else but the horrible kit
lens (and by the transfer of property I hated the camera itself). And with
the Leica lens I get to appreciate what sharpness and detail really mean.

The only thing I have so far missed is the possibility for macro photography
- not for my personal use but I was commissioned to do photography for
publications and web of an entrepreneurial biotechnology spin-off here and
they were looking for some macro shots which I could not do with the
rangefinder (or at least not without shelling 3 grand for the Elmar-Macro).
Macro isn't something I find particularly moving or satisfying and I may get
some cheap second-hand Canon or Nikon just for those purposes.

So that's basically the development of the addiction to photography - thanks
to Leica (I have taken more picture since January with the Leica than I have
for a year with the Canon).

KM