Subject: [Leica] Preserving Digital Information in Archives
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:40:28 -0400

> Perhaps of interest to those on the list whose images are wholly digital:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/books/16archive.html?ref=books
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/books/16archive.html?ref=books&pagewanted
> =all> &pagewanted=all

I'm surprised this one slipped though the whole premise is fantasyland
cherished in academia but in the real world people know better.
I trust digital media far more than I do film or paper.

" authors, are ultimately just a series of digits ? 0?s and 1?s ? written on
floppy disks, CDs and hard drives, all of which degrade much faster than
old-fashioned acid-free paper. Even if those storage media do survive, the
relentless march of technology can mean that the older equipment "

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Preserving Digital Information in Archives)