Subject: [Leica] Digital academia
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:09:08 -0700

John:  I know what you mean about those old Kodachromes.  I have all my
mother's old slides from the 50s. I hope to find the 60s and 70s in one of
my deceased parents' boxes now in my attic.  Please scan a few of your
father's slides and share them with us if you get a chance.

If you can read the 5.25" disks, or if you know someone who can, copy
those files to a more modern media ASAP.  I did this a long time ago.  I
still keep an old 5.25" disk around so I can occasionally help a friend. I
just plug it into the floppy drive connectors on my 7 year-old computer.

The old WordStar format is trivial to make readable in a simple text
editor.  All you need is a program that strips the 8th bit from each
character.  Presto, all the words are plain ASCII.  Such programs are
available for free online at shareware/freeware sites.

I'd urge you to do this now, while hardware for 5.25 disks is still
around. It's your heritage, after all.

--Peter

John wrote:
>BTW, I could also read many of my father's sermons.  At least those that
>he wrote on his typewriter.  Quite a few are on 5 and a quarter disks
and >were created in Wordstar.  Will I ever read them?  I can't honestly
say.