Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:04:55 -0400

I agree with Rabs. Of course. And a further thought: I remember one day not
long ago -- within the last decade that means, to us oldies -- seeing a
photographer with a Leica 35mm camera on Fifth Ave near the corner of 57th
or 58th St I think (possibley a few blocks osouth of there) standing in the
flow of the crowd just whirling right and left and all the way around taking
pictures of people only .7 meters from their faces in many cases, or
sometimes a bit further. He was like a dervish: to watch him was to see a
man who was completely lost in what he was doing, the faces in the crowd,
images momentarily clarified within a blur, him catching them probably not
in full focus most of hte time, taking pictures (and manually advancing the
film) as fast as I've ever seen anyone with that kind of equipment work. I
deeply admired him. He looked insane. He was frightening people. Some
people, that is. It was New York after all and many just made their way
around him and kept on without a backward glance.

Here's a very short, famous, Eastern-ish poem for street photographer's
everywhere. The title is "In a Station of the Metro" - it's only two lines
long:

The apparition of these faces in a crowd;
Petals on a wet black bough.

it's like a Capa picture double exposed onto an Ansel Adams....