Subject: [Leica] Image circle
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:24:47 +0100

Thanks Mark for posting a telling example (nice textures and tones BTW)

My question was semi-innocent but also very earnest in disguise as the
Panas you don't like so much, offer a choice of format (look at GH1
sensor specs) which questions two basic assumptions in traditional
photography:

a) the image circle - its size and more importantly shape or, how to
prevent useless light from bouncing on the sensor box walls for
instance while retaining quality across the frame when that frame can
have different specs while using the same lenses.

b) the larger the sensitive area (film or sensor) the more light you
need (cf thread on S2), which would mean that with a 4/3 you would not
need as fast lenses to achieve the same results as on a 24x36. Which
we assume to be false.

I don't know if my questionning is clear here.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all, and certainly only the final result
counts, in the eyes of the viewer...
Thanks again for your consideration.

Bien cordialement de Metz
Philippe

  NO ARCHIVE

Le 21 mars 10 ? 07:57, Mark Rabiner a ?crit :