Subject: [Leica] On the Lug Gallery is Rabs- Nespa Mark II
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:06:37 +0100

Le 24 mars 10 ? 14:41, Mark Rabiner a ?crit :

> I thought je ne sais pas' meant something like "that certain
> something"

je ne sais quoi Mark, pas pas (not pas).
Quoi means what, something, etc.

French is (yet) another strange language, negative forms initially
used ' ne ' (as/like you did not in English -> je ne sais = I know not
in OE).

Later on 'pas'  was added (which actually means a step and comes from
je n'avance pas, *I take no step*,
or 'plus' (not any more - je ne t'aime plus) ,
or jamais (n/ever, on ne sait jamais = you never know) .

And today, 'ne' is falling in disuse, and only the second part remains.
*je sais pas, *j'aime plus,* je vais jamais
All this applies to spoken language, of course.

"Je ne sais quoi" should in fact read:
" je ne sais pas quoi" I don't know what and is an old-hat poetry
trick structure
except in : elle a un certain je ne sais quoi ...
she has that certain something ... which also translates as
elle a du chien, literally  she's got some dog ...)

Barked live from Babel Europe
Back to the studio.

Bien amicalement
Philippe