Subject: [Leica] Karen Nakamura speech
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:38:02 -0400

Dry roll film hit the scene about 1888 and there weren't many small
35's around significantly predating the Ur-Leica. The Jens Paul
Andersen, 1905; Smith 1912 USA (which is extremely rare), and Tourist
Multiple (which sold towards the end of 1913 and totaled less then
1,000).  Only the Jens Paul Andersen really qualifies as being
non-contemporary with the Leica.  The Ur Leica is dated 1914 along
with the Simplex (New York), Homeos, and the Schoenander (swiss,
which had a Leitz lens).   By 1925, 35mm cameras became common so you
can say all 35mm cameras were widely sold by 1925, not just Leica.