Subject: [Leica] All cats are grey at f8
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:03:56 -0400

Frank writes:
"If you are shooting at f5.6 Leica lenses are a bit of a waste of
money. My Leica 50mm f1.4 is noticeable better that my Nikon 50mm f1.4
-at- f1.4, but at f5.6 i see very little difference. The price
differential is almost 10:1.
That is my experience in general, sure all lenses get better stopped
down, very particularly the cheap ones. What makes Leica worth the
money (if you have it) is it loses so little quality as you open up,
compared to others.
IME."

I echo Franks opinion. A number of years ago one of the big US photo
magazines did a survey of all major manufacturer 50mm lenses on the
market. I forgot whether it was Modern Photography or Popular
Photography. The survey included resolution, flare, fall off,
distortion and all the usual suspects. While there were distinct
differences wide open, not always in Leica's favor, when closed down
to f8, all lenses were virtually identical. This finding was more or
less confirmed by Canon in their detailed lens guide of 1969. In fact
Canon said that when it came to photographic quality, lenses designed
for lesser maximum apertures were better at reduced lens stops than
faster lenses. Generally a f3.5 lens stopped down to f8 would
outperform a f2 lens stopped down to the same aperture. The slower
lenses had fewer elements and were of simpler design. Given the
technology of that period this implied lower flare and internal
reflection. Erwin Puts concludes that the f3.5 50mm Elmar lasted so
long in the quality lens arsenal because the design was so simple that
technical improvements in lens construction, including coating and
rare earth glasses, made little difference in actual performance. I
don't know if advances in lens design have closed the gap but if you
commonly shoot at apertures of f5.6 through f16, then $3000 objectives
are overkill. Better to use the money on a two year supply of single
malt scotch or a lifetime supply of Belgian ale (or 100 Tilly hats).
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] All cats are grey at f8)