Subject: [Leica] Comments on GF-1
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:45:29 -0400

I was in Portland last week and took advantage of the lack of sales tax
in Oregon. I bought a GF-1, 20/1.7 and EVF from Pro Photo Supply.

I've been contemplating buying a Micro Four-Thirds camera for a while.
I'd read a lot, but hadn't handled any of the Micro Four-Thirds bodies.
I immediately liked the size and feel of the GF-1. The GH was nice, but
the GF-1 very much reminded me of using a CL.

The beauty of the GF-1 is its small size. At the same time the image
quality -- though not on par with my D700 -- is more than adequate.

The only thing I found that I miss when using the GF-1 (vs the D700) is
low light capability. Maybe after I spend more time with the images I'll
miss the D700 image quality, too. But having a camera that's small (and
practical to take everywhere) is a worthy compromise, IMO.

The 20/1.7 is a spectacular little lens, as others on the LUG can
attest. I ordered an M adapter and look forward to using M lenses (in
particular my 50/2.8 newer model Elmar "tele").

Though I almost passed on the optional EVF I'm very glad that I bought
it. It's been on the camera from the start. I took a few shots without
it, but I immediately put it back on. I like composing through a
viewfinder, and although the image isn't spectacular it's adequate. I
like seeing shooting info; especially the aperture. I use "A" mode
mostly and I can see it change when I rotate the thumbwheel.

In summary, the GF-1 is a wonderful camera. For me it replaces a Fuji
P&S that I've had for several years, but was quite a bit out-dated (and
no where close to the image quality of the GF-1). I'll still use the
D700, but I anticipate not nearly as often as the GF-1.

Dave R

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] Comments on GF-1)