Subject: [Leica] Jaguar XK 140
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:44:28 -0400

Neil writes:
Got the chance to get out with the e-p2 today, took this of the front of
a Jaguar XK 140 with the 17mm f2.8 lens impressed with both the camera
and the lens;
http://www.photoneal.com/photos/moment/tn/jag140b%20%281%20of%201a%29.jpg.html

- - - - -

I'm impressed with the camera and lens too. This is a beautiful picture of a
not so ideal car. I owned a Jaguar XK 140 MC from 1957 through 1961. It was
bright red, just like the picture. It was a babe magnet, attractive with
good acceleration once  you got it going. Unfortunately it took about an
hour of maintenance for each hour of driving. I can't fault the engine. It
was the classic Jaguar 3.4 liter design, long stroke, double overhead cams,
capable of putting out about 210 hp. The engine was OK except for adjusting
the three SU carbs. It was all the other stuff on the car that gave
problems. My car had wire wheels with knock off hubs. Every sharp press on
the gas pedal was accompanied by the ping of breaking spokes. The knock off
hubs had the habit of freezing unless they were removed regularly and
required a sledge hammer rather than the mallet in the tool box. The rack
and pinion steering was sloppy with a lot of play in the steering wheel.
Designed for left hand drive, when the cars were imported into civilized
countries that drove on the right side, the only concession Jaguar made was
moving the steering wheel. All the critical instruments were in front of the
passenger. The engine was angled so that the driver's right leg was always
bent while the left leg was straight out. The steering wheel was adjustable
to all the wrong positions. The brakes were weak and had the habit of
failing to release. Clearly it was better to look good than to be good. They
don't make them like they used to - thank God.

Larry Z