Subject: [Leica] SE Asia shots
From: csemetko at gmail.com (Craig Semetko)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:53:22 -0700

> Craig, the shots are very interesting and colorful.... absolutely
> great....
> the rapport you had was rather special
>
> But the question that I always want to ask.....
>
> How did you get this kind of access to your subjects?  Were you
> hired by the
> school to do this?  By a foreign group that gave you an introduction
> and
> basically a "license" to be there?
>
> I do not think you just walked in and took pictures, un-announced.....
>

> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net

Hey Frank, thanks for your kind words. Actually, I did just walk in
unannounced. I discovered from a trip to Luang Prabang in Laos three
years ago that if you say, "Sabadee" to most any of these monks they
will immediately ask you where you're from and try to have a
conversation. They are extremely interested in the outside world and
want to practice english on somebody. I usually have a good rapport
with people and that goes a long way. I literally said hello to one of
these monks and within 1 minute another approached me and asked me to
correct his english essay. I sat down and started marking up the paper
and when I looked up there were probably 20 monks in a semi-circle
around us. A few asked to me have lunch with them, and we bought fish
and chicken and rice and papaya salad on the street and went back in
the school house and pushed three tables together and we ate it with
our hands. It was a very memorable experience. I went back the next
day and got more shots and another lunch. Had I had more time, a
couple of them wanted to take me out to their provinces to see how
they and their families lived. As I say when I speak about my
photography, the most important things a street photographer needs are
a good pair of walking shoes and a smile. And a Leica, of course:))

Craig

Replies: Reply from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] SE Asia shots)