Subject: [Leica] German angst
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:58:12 -0400

I will be 80 this summer. In my 50s I taught graduate courses in a German
University. But I never found anyone my own age or older who was a member of
the Nazi party or was sympathetic to Hitler's aims. Most of my students, in
their 20s, were totally unaware of the inhuman behavior of the Nazis toward
Jews and other minorities. Of those older people who served in the military,
many said that they did so under protest and claim never to have fired a
shot in anger. As for the concentration camps, most denied knowing of their
existence. This was denial at an almost psychopathic level. Hitler must have
governed a country full of phantoms. Obviously there were no people in
Germany.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] German angst)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] German angst)