Subject: [Leica] German angst
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 01:23:08 -0400

> I've got that book, and his Berlin Diary too and I agree, he didn't think
> highly of them. Living there during Hitler's rise he likely saw the worst
> aspects of German culture and character though. I wonder if he felt that
> was
> before he lived there or if he became anti-German after seeing what the
> Nazis did? The city I live in (Fort Wayne, Indiana) is heavily German. 80%
> of the white people here are of German ancestry. Being of Spanish and Scots
> ancestry, I felt kind of out of place and still do. I Miss New Mexico, felt
> a home there. The Germans here are no different morally than anyone else
> though, I don't think they're bad people. A lot of people here speak German
> in public and at home, like us Hispanics do in Santa Fe. The Newspapers
> here
> published in German, not English, until World War I.
>

> --
> Chris Crawford

I have no problems with any group of people which is lucky because I
identify with being quite a liberal and they'd kick me out in no time.  I
have friends from all walks of life and cultures.  Some of them won't even
talk to me. When I visited Europe twice I liked everybody and they liked me.
Now I'm learning to sing in Spanish in the choir and that's  a language I'll
the least familiar with but its spoken a lot in NY where I am now.  So it
will be a good thing.
Anti Semitism is a European phenomenon for the most part. But I think
they're getting over it.
But to make generalizations which is  a mixed bag the Germans were some of
the nicest people I've met in Europe.
And they spoke German.
And made Leica's.
I brought home a tube of mustard.

And I like German Movies.
Those guys are funny.
And my favorite cake is German chocolate cake and my favorite potato salad
is German Potato salad.
Why do I like  this stuff? Becaue I'm the smartest and most tasteful guy
you're ever going to want to meet!

And German Tofu Bratwurst.
>From free range Tofu.

And I like gals with blonde hair and there are more of them in Germany than
there are in Sweden I read. So don't buy the wrong plane ticket.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] German angst)