Subject: [Leica] Another go with the 21 lux.
From: neilbeddoe at googlemail.com (Neil Beddoe)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 07:44:08 +0100

Thanks Ted.  I did think a bit about that but I prefer the version I posted.
 Luckily nobody is going to put my stuff on a magazine page though so my
quirky preferences can .  If I'd had a Hassleblad Super Wide, I'd have taken
the shot with that and it would have been nice and square so I took it
horizontal and cropped it (although not quite square).

Here's a vertical version which I don't like as much:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/nbeddoe/londonlife/drummer2+_1_.jpg.html

Neil responded with and picture:
> Is this any better?
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/nbeddoe/londonlife/drummer.jpg.html

Sorry Neil,
Nope! :-(

Simply because the picture is a vertical! Not a horizontal as you shot it.
You're nearly close enough, but given the drummer standing vertical the
design calls out for a vertical format angle! You should've done what Mark
Rabiner said... "Right up the nose almost!" Or almost touching the drum!

One of the joys in a situation like this is the wide angle and distortion
working in your favour! The drum would've looked like it was going to pop
right off the page by going tighter and vertical. It would've created a far
more dramatic photo.
ted