Subject: [Leica] advice wanted for carry camera
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:52:38 -0400

>The optical finder is necessary because I wear bifocals and have
>to bob my head up and down like a pigeon when using a LCD camera screen. I'm

People have complained about the idea of an EVF on the Panasonic GF1, but
once you've had a histogram, and your shutter speed and your aperture
information in your viewfinder, you won't want to come back. (And how high
res does it be, you can open your eye and see the real world if you need to.
the viewfinder's just a framing tool and, at times, a focusing tool.)
pressing the shutter speed wheel brings up the center of your image at 100%
magnification allowing, i think, for more critical focusing than any optical
VF will.  The GF-1's viewfinder also has an adjustment wheel, so you can set
the focusing on the EVF to match whatever you see through your glasses. You
can also put an accessory optical viewfinder on it, but I don't know why
you'd want to -- cause you'd have to carry a bunch of them with you if you
wanted to change lenses.

In short, I think the low-res EVF to be significantly more _useful_ than the
finest crystal optical viewfinder milled by elves and polished with silk
cloths by dedicated optical engineers who spend six months crafting a single
element, though it's probably not more beautiful. The GF-1 is also
significantly smaller and lighter than my M6.

My review of the GF-1 which includes two high res images for downloading and
inspecting:

  http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/574473.html

A post about streetish photography with the GF-1:

  http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/586744.html

(One thing I don't like about the GF1 is that when in manual mode the button
that switches between shutter speed an aperture has a third thing in there,
it might be white balance, so instead of just hitting the button, adjusting,
and hitting it again, and ajusting, you have to scroll through this silly
third option every time. Though the camera is a lot less than the GF-1)

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] advice wanted for carry camera)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] advice wanted for carry camera)