Subject: [Leica] Rudely awakened by color management
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:24:10 -0600

This is probably old hat to many or most.

When I was testing clickable "where's Waldo" pictures of the Boulder Mall,
they looked horrible in Firefox 3.0.x on a PC, but fine on Firefox 3.6 on a
Mac.

http://photos.csd.net/spring_mall_01.html

http://photos.csd.net/spring_mall_02.html

This was after using ProPhoto RGB (the default?) in Lightroom which carried
through to the web images; Adobe 1998 had not been as bad.

The solution was simple for Firefox, use the URL about:config and turn on the
optional gfx.color_management_enabled switch on Firefox 3.0.x.  The later
Firefox which was running on the Mac had color management enabled by default.

http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/29/633/
has examples of Firefox vs Photoshop.  More on:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

I can't figure out how to make Explorer behave, so one must use sRGB or be
out
of luck there?

Safari does use color management on both platforms.

John

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Rudely awakened by color management)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Rudely awakened by color management)