Subject: [Leica] Arundel Photographica and Norman Ruins, England
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:48:45 -0400

Jayanand - I don't know how the River Arun came to be named but here's what
Wkikpedia has to say about it:

"As early as 150 AD, the Arun was recorded as the Trisantonis in Ptolemy's
Geography, with later records substantiating the connection.[1] Trisantonis
is thought to be a Brythonic word for 'the trespasser', indicating the
river's tendency to flood land near to the river. There is also a theory
that the Arun may have been known as the Trisantonis in its lower reaches
close to the sea, but known as the Arnus (from the Brythonic 'Arno' meaning
run or flow). So the Arnus would mean 'the flowing one'. It is possible that
the town of Arundel may mean Arno-dell, or dell of the flowing river.[1] In
the middle ages the river was known as the Tarrant,[2] evidenced by Tarrant
Street in modern Arundel, later becoming known as the Arun after the town or
the Rape of Arundel[citation needed]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Arun

It may be that the Indian and English usages are just a cross-lingual
coincidence.

Regards,

Dick