Subject: [Leica] M Lenses on GF-1
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:28:53 -0400

David and Henning:

The Panasonic 14-45 of which you speak is about to be history and I am
irritated by the fact. They are "simplifying" the lens for the G2
introduction and offering a larger though also more limited 14-42.  I am
convinced it will be inferior. How could it not be?

Meanwhile I can't wait to go read more about this "less expensive" Oly
9-18mm to which Henning referred... I knew only of the Panasonic 7-14mm
which is supposed to be great but costs like $900. Of course $750 isn't
going to do it for me either.

I have heard, read, and seen photos indicating that the 45-200 is very good
as well. Henning says he uses his so he can testify.

I've been singing and howling and crying out about this 14-45 lens for a
while because it's -- as you say Henning -- the best normal range zoom I've
ever used. For the price, shockingly good.  I find the color a little --
just a little -- oversaturated or too rich -- not in an emphatic or vulgar
way but in the way of a pastry or cake made with scads of butter -- but this
is easy enough to fix in PS should I need to / want to. At 14mm it's just
outstanding -- whereas a surprisingly good, inexpensive kit lens I can
compare it to first hand, the Nikon 18-55 DX, is only decent at 18mm and
sharpens up noticeably after 24mm or so.

I keep thinking that the 14-45 is slow, which nominally it is, but then
again I always have to remind myself that unlike the MF lenses I enjoy using
with the G1, the Lumix 14-45 has IS so can be hand held at much longer
shutter speeds -- my guess is it compensates a step-and-a-half at least,
which means it's more like an f2 - f3.5 spread in terms of the light
conditions it can handle than the nominal 3.5-5.6. Any opinions on that?

Vince