Subject: [Leica] Leica line of cine lenses! and Re: Wow, the last word on Bokeh, from Zeiss
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:50:22 -0400

> On: Thu, 15 Apr 2010  Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if hanging sheets of gauze in front of your lens
>> characterizes
>> and justifies itself as bokeh.
>
>> Those films were also filmed in blue only sensitive film. Far from
>> panchromatic.
>
>> [Rabs]
>> Mark William Rabiner
> =============
> I'll admit "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is a special case, but in general,
> the
> cine lenses favored in the thirties had that undercorrected spherical
> abberation that gives the dot of light surrounded by a halo.  Speed-Panchro
> was a name for lenses made by Taylor, Taylor and Hobson, I believe.  Ortho
> films were the main emulsions used in the silent era, but panchromatic film
> for movies took over after the coming of sound and the
> more widespread use of tungsten lighting units. (Check "Film Style and
> Technology" by Barry Salt, a great book for anyone interested in the
> relationship between the hardware and the art)
>
> Alan

The first Marx Bros films were ortho.
The third or forth was 50 50. When a shot was tricky the camera guy would
switch to ortho so he could develop by inspection.
So Harpo hair which was pink would be dark walking in a door ortho and light
coming out the other side poncho.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner