Subject: [Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:33:39 -0400

> On Apr 17, 2010 at 02:58 PM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> The point of the lenses line is to not offer Leica users a lower piece
>> point
>> or to pawn of cheaply made clunky glass as Zeiss to Canon Nikon users.
>> The point of the lens is they are made by Zeiss.
>> And of course they are mainly directed at video and movie people but it
>> appears also at stills people. That's me.
>
> It seems to me the point is to offer these lenses with cine-style
> ergonomics.  Which is one of the last things I'd want if I was shooting
> stills.
>
> A 4.5 inch front diameter does not sound appealing to me on a SLR.  It
> sounds perfectly reasonably if I was shooting with a rig for motion,
> whether
> that was an SLR or a traditional camera.  When you are hanging matte boxes,
> follow focus systems, and other accessories, it makes sense to have a
> housing that is a standardized size across the line, and absolute size
> makes
> less of a difference.
>
> Which is why I made my previous statement.  If you wanted to shoot stills
> with this (which is the only reason you'd adapt it to R, as you asked), why
> not buy one of the ZF/ZE/ZK lenses?

Well maybe you have experience in shooting stills with glass with cine
ergonomics for most of us its a brave new world. And Zeiss seems to think
there's something in it. If we are looking at T stops instead of f stops
then maybe that's a deal breaker. Bu the idea of having an oversized focus
grabber sounds very ok to me.
And I like the colored numbers.
I like numbers.
That's part of why I like macro lenes. All kinds of numbers.

And I mentioned that I am not fond of the build of look or price point of
the ZF/ZE/ZK lenses.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Zeiss cinema lenses for Nikon, Canon)