Subject: [Leica] WTB : Leica 21mm f2.8 ASPH in silver (UK)
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:30:21 +0800

Nathan,

Please READ carefully.

I said I would make sure my customers would not have to PAY import duties
and VAT, I did NOT say I could ensure they would not be CHARGED.  If they
are charged, I pay for them.

Every package is properly declared and insured.  If no duty is charged, I
cannot be blamed.  There are no tricks involved.  Please do not use your
standard to judge others.

No import duty or VAT has been imposed for the past twelve years.  Not even
once.  And since September 2001, the UK Custom and Excise has been more
interested in looking out for explosives than photo equipment.

I would still break even if one in five customers is charged, but the rate
has been zero.

For large ticket items, the goods is actually despatched within the UK, thus
no import duty of any kind to speak of.

My family and I have several businesses in the EU and employ over 2,000
people.  We do know a thing or two about doing businesses there.

Joseph

On 18/04/2010 3:09 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> Sorry, but there is no way you can make sure. I know what you are talking
> about. By using various tricks you can reduce the likelihood that the
> recipient will have to pay VAT etc. but you cannot guarantee anything.
>
> What I wrote was not "theoretical", it was based on actual experience from
> living in several EU countries.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://www.frozenlight.eu
> http://www.greatpix.eu
> http://www.nathanfoto.com

> Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog
>

> On Apr 17, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Joseph Yao wrote:
>
>> Nathan,
>>
>> Thanks for all the theoretical bits which I am well versed.  You play the
>> academic/lawyer and I am the businessman.
>>
>> I just make sure my UK customers don't have to pay import duties and VAT.
>>
>> Joseph
>>

>> On 18/04/2010 12:57 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:
>>
>>> Joseph (and others),
>>>
>>> When someone resident in the EU buys something from a merchant outside
>>> the
>>> EU,
>>> the rule is that the recipient must pay his local VAT on delivery, plus
>>> any
>>> duty that may be applicable. In the case of photo equipment, the duty is
>>> small: something like 4% on bodies and nothing on lenses, or the other
>>> way
>>> round. The VAT is much more substantial, e.g. 17.5% in the UK if I am not
>>> mistaken.
>>>
>>> It is the job of the delivery company to collect the VAT and duty. Now,
>>> sometimes I have been lucky and the post office has simply delivered the
>>> product to me without any charges. This has happened both in the
>>> Netherlands
>>> and (much more frequently :-)) here in Spain. But it is an act of

>>> http://www.greatpix.eu