Subject: [Leica] IMG:Nor Cal Spring Starts
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

I think film, especially transparency, is a great humbler and teacher. It's
good for the soul to go back to it occasionally (and good to exercise the
lenses)...

My scans print large much better, with no up-ressing required, than my full
frame 35mm digital (21MP).

The Hassy glass is made for film and the resolution is wonderful. If you
look at this image:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/coastal/content/San_Miguel_Hills_and_Tree_MASTER_large.html
On the end of one of the upper branches on the right side of the tree, you
see a black blob. Zooming in, you can see it's a redwing blackbird. You see
the two red spots and the shape of the bird on the branch.

Now maybe that would survive an up-res from my Canon 21MP to a 40x60 print,
but I doubt it. Delicate features are lost when you up-res. I've seen a
whole daytime quarter moon disappear (Steve Barbour has a print, 17x22, that
had no upward resolution applied from an M8 that shows the moon). Printed at
180dpi. If I increase the size of that image and keep the dpi at 180 (pretty
much the minimum for my printer) the moon disappears. This happens whether I
use native PS tools or Genuine Fractals.

I have another image:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/coastal/content/Sunset001_40x40_large.html
where you can see a guy standing out on the end of the peninsula in blue
jeans. He's on the end of the peninsula just left of center of the image.
6x6 scanned. I have a print 40x40 of that hanging. With a magnifying glass
you can see he has his shirt off and has a thin crop of chest hairs. I don't
think you'd get that with 35mm digital at 40x40. The guy wouldn't be there;
went through the black hole of up-ressing into a parallel universe. Chest
hairs became strings...

Now I don't know a thing about MF digital backs; perhaps and most likely
their resolution is as good. But you have to spend an awful lot of money to
equal the quality of film if you're going to print large. Compared to a
digital back, I've spent peanuts. Even my Imacon scanner was just a tich
more than a new Nikon 9000ED (though now that they're discontinued that may
not be true).

So for large prints, I still like film. And for other reasons. No need to
limit myself. Different tools for the situations. Works real well for me and
I am very pleased when I see that final print....
Of course, your mileage varies...
 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com