Subject: [Leica] OT: Best Film Scanner for Black and White
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:06:09 -0700

the Minolta 5400 is quite good. In fact, the Mark I version, has a light
diffuser, which supposedly is really good for B&W.

Although truth be told, when I did some informal tests, I can't tell much
difference between it and the Nikon 4000. The film may not be as flat as
possible, but I'm not sure whether it will make too much difference in
practical terms. It's very convenient to just stick a strip in the front.
With the Minolta and the Nikon-8000/9000, you have to put it in a carrier
(glass-less by default)

If I were you, I'd pick up a 4000 for ~$500. I think I sold mine for ~$470
just a few months ago. The prices are going up.