Subject: [Leica] Exposure comp and the M9
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Stan,
My general rule is never clip your highlights. This was reinforced a few
weeks ago in a?printing workshop I took with Charles Cramer. You can recover
shadow detail (and Charlie had some amazing ways to do this in CS4), but
highlights?cannot easily be recovered.
There are exceptions (of course!). One is specular highlights (sparkles on
water, etc.) and the other is that you can recover a bit of highlights in
RAW processing. But that's cutting it pretty close in Charlie's opinion.
I have my M9 set up to show clipping for over exposure and the RGB
histogram. Sometimes you're clipping only one channel and a good RAW
processor can interpolate what it needs to do to recover that channel based
on the other non-clipped channels.
Hope this helps,
Bob
?Bob Adler