Subject: [Leica] OT: Anyone used Nikon AC-2WE?
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 09:52:08 +0930

It does not work with XP or Vista; Win 98 or 2000 only.  There may be
ways to work around that, but I don't know enough about computers to
tell you.  I keep a laptop with Win 98 loaded on it to work with old
software.  I guess that eventually there will be some problem there
too, but hopefully when that happens some clever person will be able
to assist.

The version of photo Secretary, the program that comes with the AC-2WE
for the F100 has one odd quirk - unless you also have the MF26 data
back and use custom function 18, the camera does not mark the films
with an ID number, so you cannot match the data to the film unless you
do that manually.  So for the AC-2WE to be very useful you also need
the MF26.

These accessories tend to be expensive; there was an after market copy
of the AC-2WE that was cheaper but it isn't made anymore.  For the
price of the data back and the software I am sure you could buy
another F100, maybe 2.

Whether that's worth it depends on how important the metadata is to you.

Marty